Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart O.L.S.H. Sisters
"Called to bring to people everywhere the good news
of God's compassionate and saving love"
Our Congregation was founded in France on 20th August, 1874 by Fr Jules Chevalier. Jules was born in France in 1824. As a young priest he lived in Issoudun where people had grown hard-hearted and indifferent towards God. He was convinced that our greatest need, if we want to find meaning and happiness in life, is to learn to believe in God’s love for us and to let that love change our lives. He saw that devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was a most effective way of making God’s love known to the world. He founded a Society of Priests and Brothers known as Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (msc) and twenty years later in 1874, the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (O.L.S.H. Sisters).
In Papua New Guinea:
In 1884, five O.L.S.H. Sisters left France to join the M.S.C. Priests and Brothers who had gone to Papua New Guinea in 1881. The Sisters began their work amongst the people at Yule Island in the Central Province, and as the years went by and the Congregation spread they were joined by Sisters from Holland, Switzerland, Belgium, Ireland, England, Brazil and Australia. Now there are 128 Sisters working in PNG and of these there are nearly 100 Papua New Guinean Sisters and very few expatriate Sisters.